Healthy Diet Tool Update v14
Important update to the Microsoft Excel Diet Weekly sheet V14
I have added several items to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet tool for managing diet .Healthy Diet Recording Tool 2016 v14
- My Healthy Diet Record Tool is a useful tool to help count calories that are required to monitor weight loss or gain. The tool is under the control of the user who needs to add their age, gender, height and existing weight and their level of physical activity.
- Food including fluid is input by the user by means of adding to a simple annotated list.
- NHS Five a Day advisory portions are automatically generated - factional amounts count
- alcohol units are calculated
- quantities are based on 100g quantities or single items
- Data is taken (mainly) directly from the USDA National Database for Standard Reference Release 28. The spreadsheet food list includes full reference to the USDA NDB Nos.
- Proximates are listed: Water, Energy, Total lipid (fat),Carbohydrates by difference, Fiber-total dietary and sugars
- Minerals are listed: Calcium,Iron,Magnesium,Phosphorus,Potassium,Sodium and Zinc
- Vitamins are listed: Vitamin C and Vitamin A RAE
- All food is colour coded which helps usability and encourages trying to create a balanced diet eg. Vegetables are coloured light green, grains beige and seafood blue
- there are two pie charts which automatically show the categories of food by colour
- The USDA labelled pie chart omits alcohol and confectionery and is based on calories not volume but it does provide the proportion of food consumed by calories.
- RDA information for each nutrient is listed
- Note version 14: Nutrient amounts are subject to Conditional Formatting using a light pink background to cells that record less that the RDA for the nutrient. If the nutrient amount exceeds the RDA the adjoining cell is formatted as dark pink. The RDA data for Saturated Fat is calculated from the user's daily requirement of calories to maintain their current weight. RDA Data is from the American Heart Associations recommendation Please note that conditional formatting does not work for Excel 2003 and earlier versions.
- Calculated change in weight is given immediately
- some new entries have been made and some errors traced and removed
- helpful notes have been added as comments
Please note the workbook has a meal entered for Sunday. This is only included to show how the sheet can be used. Delete that data at your convenience.Apart from the tool's use as a means to control weight and a healthy balanced diet the tool allows listing of any one foodstuff by any amount of course.
Salt in the diet
We are aware that the amount of salt consumed is often far too much. The labelling of food does provide a useful guide but in practice the salt content of the food we eat and drink is not made available at meal times. The Excel workbook with its multiple spreadsheets provides this and other information.
Water as a proximate has been added. This was overlooked, even though water is the most important part of our diet.
Healthy Diet Recording Tool Geoff Edwards
The tool has been developed using Microsoft's Excel software over a period starting in 2008. I have used it almost continuously on a day to day basis but it can be used for limited periods to monitor a healthy diet.
The user must be able to enter data on a spreadsheet and handle simple formulas.
The software is licensed
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.
Data obtained almost entirely from: US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Nutrient Data Laboratory.
USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 28. Version Current:September 2015. Internet: http://www.ars.usda.gov/ba/bhnrc/ndl
The spreadsheet has been create with the 2007 version of Excel. There are 18 sheets in addition to the "Weekly Diet" sheet which is the Home sheet to which data flows both to and from the other sheets. To minimise errors the 18 sheets are protected from being altered. The password is "password" lower case so that any modifications will need sheets to be unprotected. Unfortunately, Excel 2003 will not recognize password set in version 2007 so if you are using the 2003 version of Excel you need to be careful. I will get round to saving a version of the workbook in 2003 version but for the time being take care!
Care has been taken to ensure that the data is accurate but cannot be guaranteed